But what about winter and your health? Winter has a bad reputation for ‘catching a cold’ and cops the flack for setting the scene for ‘flu season’.
Here in Launceston, we certainly notice the seasons in a big way particularly as the days are much shorter and the temperature is much cooler. And those frosts!
Winter is all about the Water element (in which we find the Kidneys and Bladder). It is when the Yang (hot, energetic Qi) is hidden by the Yin (cool, peaceful Qi) accumulation. And so we crave:
- Comfort and being cosy
- Embracing the indoors, or well warmed outdoor spaces
- Getting more sleep (earlier to bed, later to rise – just like the sun)
- Using the warm quilt and/or flannelette sheets
- Getting crafty (crocheting or knitting? I heard they are the new yoga!)
- Comforting foods – soups, stews, curries, apple cinnamon crumble